Trike Response from DOL

Finally a straight answer for all of us...

Thanks to Ray & Judy Lopez, LifeTime Members, Chapter Directors, Brothers  of The Third Wheel, South Sound Riders...

 -----Original Message-----
From: Richard Mitchell []
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:59 PM
To: Ray BTW
Subject: Fwd: A response from the Department of Licensing...

Glad to see I was wrong for the first time in my life. Funny how the letter to dol got nowhere, but a message to the gov gets all kinda relies!

"Partain, Kristin" <KPARTAIN@DOL.WA.GOV> wrote:

From: "Partain, Kristin"
To: "''"
Subject: A response from the Department of Licensing...
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:39:31 -0800

December 2, 2003




Mr. Richard Mitchell

33027 22nd Avenue Southwest

Federal Way, Washington 98023


Dear Mr. Mitchell:

 Thank you for your recent email to Governor Gary Locke. I have been asked respond to your concerns.

 It appears you have come across some misleading information. The following should clarify for you the law changes and the procedures you need to go through to obtain a “Trike” endorsement after January 1, 2004.

 The rider education course for trike owners is not becoming mandatory unless you are under the age of 18 years. However, it is available on a volunteer basis for those over 18.

 If you already hold a motorcycle endorsement code “3” or a code “R” on your current license you will be able to go to the nearest Licensing Service Office (LSO) after January 1, 2004 and request a 3-wheel endorsement code “5” for your license at no cost to you.

 If you do not currently have a code “3” or a code “R” on your license and wish to, you will need to go to a selected LSO and take the knowledge and skill test to obtain your trike endorsement. You can also take the rider education course for trikes and upon passing the course take your Completion Card to the nearest LSO to get your endorsement with no additional testing. In either case you may use your own modified full hand controlled trike on condition that it will pass a safety inspection.

 So you will still be able to get an instruction permit for your trike providing you have not had two previous permits. In which case you will have to take a skills test before you can be issued a third permit.

 If you should have any further questions or concerns, please contact Carl Spurgeon with the Motorcycle safety program Department of Licensing, at 1-800-902-9010 extension 9.



Denise Movius

Assistant Director

Driver Services Division

 cc      Governor Gary Locke

          Fred Stephens, Director


PO Box 9020 Ÿ Olympia, Washington 98507-9020

The Department of Licensing has a policy of providing equal access to its services.

If you need special accommodation, please call (360) 902-3850 or TTY (360) 664-0116.